Friday, December 31, 2010

Winter Vacation - and a New Year's Wish

 

We took a couple of days this week and went down to the condo at Barnegat.  While we only had about 5-6" of snow here, there was well over a foot, if not 2 feet of snow there.  This first picture is of the bay at sunset the night we arrived.  I couldn't quite capture the beauty of it though.  The pink and orange reflexion on the icy, snowy parts gave it a pearlescent quality.

The picture below is taken at the Barnegat Lighthouse on Long Beach Island.  These are the dunes at the end of Island Beach State Park across the inlet - snow covered.  There were many photographers with their tripods set up on the walkway hoping to get some wildlife pictures.  We were told that there had been a seal in the inlet just before we got there - darn.  The water was remarkably calm and although the temp was about 33º, we were quite warm as we walked along the rocks to the point.


Okay, a little out of order, but you can see the lighthouse as you enter the area by the visitors center.  There was a very narrow pathway to walk through - not shoveled, but just compressed snow. 


This duck was sitting on one of the rock.  You can see how peaceful the water was.  There are some flowers floating in the water that a group of young adults had thrown in just before we got there.

This is the view of the lighthouse from the point.  I have to say that I have never been on the beach when there's been snow.  It is quite pretty.


In the afternoon we took a ride to Cape May and after walking around the outdoor mall and doing some after Christmas shopping, we drove around for a while to admire the holiday lights.  This is the gazebo in the middle of town.


This morning HWNSNBP woke me up and said that if I hurried I could catch the sunrise over the bay, which at this time of the year is directly across the dock.  He went to get his coffee and I quickly threw on some street clothes and walked up to the dock.  As you can see from this picture below (which I took from the top of a picnic table) there was a significant amount of snow on the dock.  In fact, it was up to my knees as I tried to climb the stairs.  But it was worth it.


I am being hurried off now as we prepare to go celebrate New Year's Eve with our friends - a long-standing tradition. 

I wish you and yours a very Happy New Year - good health and prosperity to all !

3 comments:

  1. What a stunning sunrise - my favourite is the last picture. It looks as if had been a lovely few days there - peaceful and restoring. There's something amazing about snow on a beach. I know it happened here this year, but I didn't get to it, so it's extra nice to see these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a moment that must have been! Gorgeous pictures Lorraine!! The serenity of the photos is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo's Lorraine! Love the gazebo!
    Looking at your photo's leaves me with the feeling that I have been away on a little trip somewhere!
    Thanks:-)
    Sunshine NZ
    www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.