Monday, October 11, 2010

Dollar Store Eye Ball

I love visiting "dollar stores" as some of you may know.  You never know what you're going to find there and how you might use it.  Saturday I had some time to myself in the afternoon and was able to visit one of my favorite dollar stores - Dollar Tree.  I was looking for something particular for Boss's Day but I came away with a basketful of things as usual.  I was in the mood to do some Halloween crafting and I came up with this project - an Eye Ball.

The ingredients included 2 bags of wiggly eyes ($2), one styrofoam ball ($1), a small ceramic incense burner ($1), a twist tie, glue, toothpicks, and screen scraps which I already had on hand, and some glitter (which was an after thought I'll relate below).


I spilled out the wiggly eyes and started gluing them to the styrofoam ball, but I thought it needed a little more, so I got the glitter and also a pie pan to help control the mess.  Once I decided to do that, I realized that I would not be able to hold it without the eyes sliding all around in the glue so I stuck a toothpick into the ball to help me hold it as I worked and used another toothpick to help spread the glue.  After the eyes were on a section, I sprinkled the glitter on to fill in the gaps between them, tapping off the extra into the pie plate.  I continued this until the entire ball was covered.  Then it had to sit and dry for a while.

While it was drying, I took the strip of screening (this is flexible plastic screening leftovers) and gathered it into a bow using the twist tie in the center.  I used the tails of the twist tie to wrap around the incense burner and then set the Eye Ball on top.  Voila!  Total cost $4. 


I did take a soft brush the next day and gently brushed off the errant glitter.  I'm planning to put this on my counter at school - do you think it's too creepy for 3rd-5th graders?

1 comment:

  1. Not being into Halloween really, I wasn't sure what to expect when I read your post title. But oh my - it's just totally fun, not creepy at all. The screen bow is brilliant! I bet you'll get loads and loads of comments from people who see it on your desk.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.