Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Teapot Tuesday 42

After all the chocolate and jelly beans I'm sure we've all experienced this past weekend, everyone could use a good dose of their greens. And this week's teapot will definitely provide you with them. Isn't this the cutest little head of cabbage you've ever seen!!! Cindy's got quite a collection of teapots and her cards are the greatest. Check out her glob and see what I mean.


This teapot was a bit of a challenge. Not having anything that remotely resembled a head of cabbage I was almost going to give up when I thought about creating my own cabbage leaf out of tissue paper. As I was told by HWNSNBP this weekend, he considers me a pack rat and I can't deny that I have a significant stash of stuff, both new and used. This would include an extensive amount of tissue paper. Again, both new and used. So I knew that the chances of finding something suitable would probably be to my advantage.

After I caused an avalanche of tissue paper from the shelf in my den, I managed to find this green waxy tissue for the leaf and some dark pink for the edging. But how would I marry them? I cut the pink in a strip about an inch wide and slightly scalloped one edge with a scissor. Then I got out my sewing box and with pink thread put a running stitch down the other edge and gently gathered it. Then I got out the closest green that I had and used that to stitch the ruffle to the leaf. The bottom of the leaf is gathered just a wee bit to make the leaf curve outward a little.


Before I adhered my cabbage leaf to the card I wadded up a clean tissue and glued that to the Confetti White background first. Then I used sticky strip to put the leaf on the card. The ribbons are all from my green ribbon box. (Cindy said that we were going to have our greens this week at the party and I didn't want to come empty-handed.)

The butterfly was punched with a Martha Stewart butterfly punch and I colored the body with Rose Red and added crystal effects to it. The sentiment in the corner was stamped in Purely Pomegranate on Certainly Celery using a stamp from the retired Lots of Thoughts set. And I added the little flower jewel in the corner that came from the dollar bin at Mike's. Here's a close up so you can see the dimension of the leaf.

So I'm thinking that no one who doesn't see the teapot will ever be able to guess that this is a cabbage leaf, but that's okay. I think it could pass for a flower or maybe a crazy pinata or something. What do you think? Be honest now!

1 comment:

  1. Hee! Looks like a cabbage leaf to me although that just might be because I have cabbage teapots on the brain! Snort!

    I can just see you buried under a pile of tissue paper when hubby comes home and searches for you!

    The first words outa your mouth are. I will do this teapot challenge come * * * * or high water! Snort! Don't bother me just get this tissue off my head!

    You are so very creative. Its no surprise to me that you came up with this awesome, awesome card! I love it! The colors are perfect and you sewed! All of the amazing, famous, big shot stampers are sewing these days you know! Thanks for coming again to my tea party!

    PS...I owe you an email! My emails are just piling up! But after today I should get caught up! Glad you got your new car by the way! Hugs....hope you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.