Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thursday's Throw Aways - Week 15

My daughter visited us last weekend. When she left, I found this shampoo bottle that she had thrown away. I love the color (I think it looks like the new In Color Melon Mambo).

Of course it had labels on it but that was a plus. Sometimes the information is printed directly onto the plastic and you can't do anything with it. In this case, the labels were pretty easy to peel off. There was some sticky residue that needed to be removed. I remembered reading somewhere the WD-40 works on labels, and guess what? It does!

The next step was to cut the bottle. This was pretty easy also with a pair of craft scissors. I left the long sides intact to get the most usable area.

I used my Big Shot and the Butterfly Die to punch out these butterflies. It cut very easily.

I gently folded the butterflies in the center (where the body would be) to give them some dimension.
On the larger one I added some sticky pearls and half pearls from the Pretties Kit after I had punched a hole with the Crop-a-dile. I intended this one to be a plant poke (and it still could be). The 14 guage wire was pretty malleable (sp.?) so I curled it on the bottom so the butterfly could stand on it's own for picture purposes. I made a little loop on the end where you see the bow.

The smaller butterfly found it's way onto the end of stick pin. Another little recycling note here - the wire used to hold the stick pin in place and to make the antenna was from a twist tie.
I think the stick pin will make a very nice accent to a card or 3-D project in the future. Of course, it could also be worn.

You can see from the last picture that there's quite a bit of sparkle to this plastic. IRL it really looks pretty. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some other plastic bottles that could be used this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.