Saturday, December 4, 2021

The 25 Doors of Christmas - 2021

I was asked to participate in this challenge again by one of the other challengees who I'll tell you more about at a later date.  The challenge is an Instagram one that is hosted by Alexandra Sillos who you might remember was a contributor to and spouse of Michael McVean who used to do the Scribble Picnic challenges.  They have relocated several times in the couple of years since that time and have now settled in Kentucky near to her family.  They have recently opened a little gift and stationery store.  Alexandra still does her illustrative work and has continued to host the 25 Doors of Christmas.



I feel a little frustrated sometimes looking at the entries to this challenge as some of the contributors use technology to create their entries and always look so polished.  And there are some very accomplished watercolor artists who also add their wonderful work.  Since this time of year is typically full of other activities for me, I usually resort to watercolor pencils or my trusty Prismacolor pencils......... and the finished products look that way.  I'm actually trying to be a little more open with my drawing and not so precise as I've seen many other artists do, so my lines may look a little wobbly here and there, but that's okay with me for now.  

I'm using another little sketch/scrapbook that measures about 3 1/2" square.  The paper is heavy weight but not watercolor paper so when I do add water with the watercolor pencils there is a little bit of warping.  But I chose to use the smaller profile to be able to do these in a timely manner.  (Thinking bigger takes longer, but sometimes the smaller details warrant more time....... well, it was a thought!)

Oh, and my inspiration, for the most part comes from pictures that I've found on Pinterest or FB that I have made a folder of for reference.  

Day 1


Day 2


Day 3


So, if you come across a picture of or actually see something in your neighborhood or travels that you can take a picture of, send it to me as I'm always on the lookout for ideas.

If you're on IG you can check out #the25doorsofchristmas to see more.



5 comments:

  1. These are great pictures you have drawn Lorraine! I love the cute little deer with the red bow around his neck! He looks like he is sitting there waiting for Santa! Maybe he's an offspring of one of Santa's reindeer?! (My imagination runs wild sometimes!)
    Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am participating too, love your entries. Alexandra always encourages our art.



    ReplyDelete
  3. I like snowman with his Joy banner, but my favourite is #2 because of the unusual perspective - and of course a bird lover lives there. The last one, those big lanterns remind me of the stately home in Farmleigh, there are lanterns like that outside. If I weren't mostly on my bike these days I'd be happy to keep an eye out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your illustrations are charming! Far more interesting than those 'drawn' with a computer. I know there's a certain amount of technical expertise involved in using the computer but I'd rather have the real thing.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.