Saturday, December 14, 2019

The 12 Days of Christmas

I found this idea a decade or more ago and had done it in a similar way for some close friends and co-workers (at separate times).  There was a Craft "Board" that I used to frequent on the internet that had some really great ideas which is where I first saw it.  Sadly, I've lost the link and I think it may have dissolved, but every once and a while I see reference to some of the ideas on Pinterest.

My good friend J reminded me recently about this and that reminder came at a most opportune time as I was wondering what to do for my office mate.  You need a little time to gather all the items and a little time to put things together so you can deliver it by December 12th.

It's based on the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and each day there is a little poem and a simple gift item.  I was lucky to have found a sheet of wrapping paper with the 12 days illustrated in blocks which made my little attachment cards a breeze.

So you start with a note that says:

The song you've heard sung
12 days in a row
Won't get tiresome with treats
From a person you know.

But to keep up the mystery
And surely the fun,
Start on 12/12
With Bag Number 1.

I found bags at The Christmas Tree Shop this time, but you can use plain brown or white bags.

Day 1 (Can of Pears)

The partridge in a pear tree,
Now that sure would be sweet.
Alas, the bird, it flew away,
But left some pears to eat!


Day 2 (Turtle Candy and Dove Chocolate or Dove soap if you choose, but then change the poem)

Two turtle doves were hard to find.
At the pet store, they said "Nope!"
So these turtles are the chocolate kind
And the dove is not the soap.


Day 3 (Chicken Soup)

If you agree that hens are chickens,
Whether French or not,
You're sure to enjoy this chicken soup,
Just heat it in the pot!


Day 4 (Chapstick)

When calling birds cackle
Their mouths get all dry,
Their lips start to crackle,
So give this a try!


Day 5 (Can of Pineapple Rings)

Five golden rings?
There really are more
Of sweet golden pineapple,
Straight from the store!


Day 6 (Egg-shaped Candy)

Six geese-a-laying
And interesting sight.
One of them squawked
And they all took to flight.
I searched for the eggs,
There were none in the nest,
But these egg-shaped candies
Might be the best!


Day 7 (Goldfish Crackers)

On this 7th day of Christmas
How nice it would be
If 7 swans-a-swimming
Your family could see.
The pond was quite empty
Since the swans have gone south.
We only found goldfish
To put in your mouth!


Day 8 (Candy Kisses)

The 8 maids were milking
Filling pail after pail.
The cows were all mooing,
I heard not a wail.
I watched til' I tired,
And then walked away - 
Sending kisses to all - 
Have a great day!


Day 9 (Cozy Socks)

Nine ladies dancing,
They put on a show.
Their feet got so tired,
So wouldn't you know,
I got you some socks
For warming your feet.
They're comfy and cozy
And all tied up neat!


Day 10 (Popcorn - preferably Jiffy Pop, or adjust the poem for microwave)

Ten lords-a-leaping
Like popcorn they fly.
So heat up the stove
And give this a try!


Day 11 (Hot Chocolate)

Eleven pipers piping
We'll give this a shot -
You'll need a mug of water
And make it piping hot.
Be sure to fill your mug
With love and with care,
And mix up some hot chocolate
You just might like to share!


Day 12 (Sparkling Cider or Grape - or wine if you so choose)

Christmas Eve has arrived
On this, the last night.
One dozen drummers
Would be a grand sight
The noise would be loud
And might hurt your ears.
Instead, make a toast,
And be sure to say "Cheers!"!


I filled each bag and added the appropriate tag with ribbon.


And they all fit into a large gift bag that again, I found at the Christmas Tree Shop, but a box would do also.


I put a bow on the outside of the bag with the explanation poem on the handle and gave it to my co-worker.  


So all the items are useful and this hopefully brings a little fun.  I know that when I had done it in the past the recipients were happy with it, so I hope my co-worker enjoys it.  

I think I'll be doing this again in a couple of years when my grandson's get a little older so they can understand it.





5 comments:

  1. You are a generous (and very clever) coworker! What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. smart grandson! I wish I was your coworker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this idea before and it's wonderful! I will be filing this one away for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great idea and I love the new version of the 12 days of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, and I am sure much appreciated. I really like the tags on each bag.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.