Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Everything Circles to the End

April is gone and with it the #everythingcircles challenge.  Here are the pieces that I worked on for the last half of the month.

By now you know that I save a lot of things.  These circles were what was left of the Colorburst backgrounds that I used on the ornaments I made for my school staff two Christmases ago.  I had no idea at the time what I might use them for, but when I found them in the craft room recently I thought they would definitely fit in with this challenge.  The background on these is gouache.  


The circles on both are the same color pallet, but they look different against the different backgrounds.


A Zig brushmarker rainbow with marker mandalas.


These circles were more of the Zig markers wet.  An attempt at underwater bubbles - left out the fish and opted for fishnet instead.


Some more marker mandalas.


This is done in the large sketch pad.  The background is chains of marker circles.  The green circles are marker on some punched circle tags that I found whilst tidying up the craft room.  


I started these by drawing the circles and then wrapped the ribbon around them.  The ribbon is colored and blended with Zig's.  I added the lines in Micron marker afterwards.  I have some more ideas to do with this ribbon I hope to share at a later day.


The next day I took it a step further and added the Micron marker circles in the open spaces.


A variation done with color pencils this time.


This one is pretty busy.  I just layered these circle sprays in Arteza markers.


And this last one involves some recycling again.  Here are pieces of Colorbursted watercolor paper from Christmas Ornaments from this year.  The circles are twisted and coiled paper straw wrappers which for some reason I was saving last summer (I think in anticipation of using them for ICAD, but not entirely sure, though I'm glad to finally have used some of them).


I hope I haven't bored you with all these circles.  My art is all over the place, I know.  Some people have a niche, but I don't seem to have one.  I do enjoy experimenting with different mediums and also love repurposing things that some would call junk.  I don't expect everyone to get that either.  I just thank you for following along and hope you see something that you like.

No long-term challenges for me in May - I'm gearing up for ICAD which will start officially on June 1st with a couple of warm-ups before that.  

2 comments:

  1. There's definitely nothing wrong with not having a niche - I think that so long as you enjoy all the different things you try, that's wonderful. I'm always amazed at the creative way you find to use off-cuts. I occasionally have ideas but most of the time I know it will never happen so it's probably not worth keeping stuff. With the exception of trimmings from gel prints - I've found they make gorgeous herringbone backgrounds. But straw wrappers? I wouldn't have dreamt of keeping them, never mind imagined that they could look like those coiled flowers. My favourite, I think, is the rainbow with mandalas, but I also really like the chain background one - the punched circles look like little pots with succulents in them.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.