Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Scribble Picnic - CHRISTMASTIME

We're sharing CHRISTMASTIME at the picnic this week.  In some ways I prepare for Christmas all year.  This would mainly be with the cards that I create using the prompts from the Jingle Belles.  This really helps me avoid that December crush getting them ready and I totally enjoy being able to have a variety of cards.  Sometimes, as in this year, I don't get as many done as I need and wind up mass-producing the balance with a simple, yet still pretty card.  The agreement I have with HWNSNBP is that I make the cards and he signs, stuffs, and mails them.  I have a stack of post-it notes with the names of the recipients on that I stick on the cards because I'm not totally comfortable with him picking out who gets what.  


I've cut back on my baking drastically since the kids have grown up and moved out.  In place of the baking I make homemade marshmallows - plain white vanilla and pink cinnamon.  I was in a little bit of a panic early this month as I couldn't find the Red Hots that I use to flavor the cinnamon ones.  But I happened to mention this to my hairdresser and a few hours after my last haircut, she called me to say that she found them while shopping after work.  So I sent my elf, er HWNSNBP out to get them the very next morning and this last weekend the marshmallowing began.


Aren't these the cutest clips helping to keep the parchment paper in place.


I highly recommend using a stand mixer when making these because the hot liquid has to be beaten until if forms pretty stiff peaks which usually takes more than 10 minutes and would probably overheat a handheld mixer.


This step is the most time-consuming.....cutting and dusting all the edges with the rice flour/confectioner's sugar mixture.  


You can flavor the basic mix with your favorite hard candy flavor.  


And I'm going right down to the last minute with this next project.... my Christmas Elf project that I do for my staff at school.  I was going to avoid this this year, however, I got this last minute idea that I thought I could whip up.  I used my Color Burst powders to decorate some sheets of watercolor paper, then used a die to cut out the circles.


I stamped the word PEACE on each one with VersaMark ink and embossed in white EP.  I toyed with the idea of adding a dove to the sky, but I decided aganst it.  Tomorrow I'll puch holes in each one and add some gold cording to make them into an ornament.  


They're simple and inexpensive enough to do for the whole staff, and if I'd counted right, I would have had them done tonight, but I was one sheet short so I'll be "painting" again as soon as I get home from work tomorrow.  That means I'll have to be up early on Friday to sneak into the office before the teachers arrive, place them in the mailboxes and then come back home to properly get ready for work.  I think I'm being sneaky but most people know these little Christmas Elf gifts are from me.  I'll post the finished product tomorrow.  

But right now I'll be headed over to Dotty Hill to see what the other Picnickers are working on this CHRISTMASTIME.  You can check it out here.  

We have next week off, but we'll be back the first week in January.  


22 comments:

  1. That's great that you make your own Christmas cards! I imagine your friends and family really look forward to receiving them.

    I always struggle with parchment paper–will need to look for some!

    Perfect colors for the Peace (on Earth!) ornaments. Merry Christmas, Lorraine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jolene. I hope they enjoy the cards. But it's enough for me to know that I enjoy the process and can give a little gift of myself with it. I once tried taping the parchment down but found out that didn't work because it doesn't stick! So the clips really come in handy. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. I like homemade ornaments, these peace ones looks good. I like all the blues & greens.

    have a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lissa, I hope you have a wonderful holiday too! Thank you for always being so kind with your comments.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, changing your name to Mrs. Santa. What a great post, and loved seeing the process for your marshmellows. The clips for parchment paper so cute. I'm doing a kizillon cookies as I'm giving all the boys and men in my life containers of cookies, and all the women and girls in my life...a cook book I've created with favorite family recipes. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Wanda, the cookbook is such a great idea. I'm sure they'll love it - and the guys will totally enjoy the cookies I'm sure. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Lovely Christmas post, Merry Christmas! You are so creative, the marshmallows look fantastic as does everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too Christine and thank you for your visits here and your lovely comments. Cheers to a happy and healthy new year!

      Delete
  5. Yes, indeed, you are ambitious and creative and I love it all. The marshmallows look mouth watering delicious, but, oh my, the calories. If I made those at my house we would be waddling the rest of the year. I have to ask ... HWNSNBP ? I know it is your husband but it is such a long name it made me curious. Mine is FH ... simple and to the point,Ha! Have a wonderful Christmas, Lorraine :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes Andrea, they are an indulgence that I only make twice a year and usually give most of them away. HWNSNBP stands for He Whose Name Shall Not Be Published as my husband goes by many names and didn't want me using his given name or what I call him. (But for explanation I will share here that his given name is Thaddeus and I've always called him Thad, but he goes by Ted for work, Teddy or Thad with friends, Tad with his family, and Tedward when "the guys" are together. This is also why he signs all the Christmas cards!) You have a wonderful Christmas too!

      Delete
  6. Great post Lorraine - and the marshmallows look so professional!
    Wishing you and your family a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS and may the new year be a healthy, happy and peaceful one for all.

    Hope to see you at the 2018 Scribble Picnic!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Mary! Hoping your Christmas is full of joy and your new year full of laughter!

      Delete
  7. You have been a very busy, little Christmas bee! A great idea to do Christmas craft/cards throughout the year. I'd plan to do that but it never happened.

    I try to avoid going near the shopping centres at this time of year...way too chaotic for me! I tend to have a much more simple Christmas nowadays. No gifts...just my adult kids over for Christmas dinner and family time.

    Toasted coconut marshmallows were one of my favourite things in my younger years. I would make them myself too...can't beat home-made, right?! In case you're wondering...yes, there are vegan marshmallows so I don't have to miss out. YAY!

    Your Christmas ornaments turned out lovely, Lorraine...a nice colour choice!

    Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

    See you at Scribble Picnic in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena, I try to stay out of the shopping centers too! Chaotic crowds are not my cup of tea as I get older. I'd love the vegan recipe for your marshmallows. The only animal product in mine is the gelatin which I'm not sure how to compensate for. But I'd like to try. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season - warmest wishes to you and your family!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh Lorraine, thank you for this post! I've been wanting to make marshmallows but it always seemed so daunting. They look absolutely lovely! And all of your cards and the ornaments are just beautiful. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rain. The marshmallows are a little time-consuming but they're really not that hard. Getting the liquid at the right temp takes a while, and the beating of course. I usually find that I have to beat a lot longer than the recipe says. Let me know if you give it a try. Hoping you have a splendid holiday and a brilliant new year.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your cards collection there, Lorraine, is FABULOUS! Such variety and what a good idea too. I LOVe your globe one too. so well made. how magical for your people to get these. I did have to chuckle at how your Elf goes out for you but "I have a stack of post-it notes with the names of the recipients on that I stick on the cards because I'm not totally comfortable with him picking out who gets what." :)

    I hope your smaller xmas is full of unexpected joys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Doing the cards all year is such a help and I owe it all to the Jingle Belles! Our smaller Christmas with the little one was so special and heartwarming. Happy Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  11. Laughing at your recommendation of the stand mixer. After the last lot of your marshmallows to come our way, DH asked had I ever made them. Yes,many years ago, possibly not since I met him; so would I make them again some time for him. I will, some time, but we don't have a stand mixer and that is definitely a deterring factor. Don't I remember you had trouble finding the Red Hots last time too? We can even now get corn syrup here - in the days when I used to make them, I always had to use a sugar-cane based syrup which is all that was available here.
    I smiled too at the post-it notes with intended recipients for the cards. If ever, unlikely, DH took on those elf responsibilities of writing and posting, I would do that for him too!

    I hope you are enjoying peace and some rest and some creative crafting time over the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the Red Hots last year too. Unfortunately, where we found them last year didn't have them this year so we widened the search. I should have just broke down and bought them in bulk from Amazon because I think they'd probably keep pretty long. I plan on tidying up the "stamp cave" and getting some thank you's done this week (along with some unfinished projects that are staring me in the face every time I go in there). Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that the New Year brings much joy, health, and happiness!

      Delete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.