Tuesday, August 1, 2017

ICAD 2017 - Week 9 - Days 57 - 61 and a Remembrance

Well, it's over for this year.  This is the last of the cards.  

Week 9 - Themes - Optional 


Days 57 - 61 - Prompts - Optional


Day 57 - Spring
I decided to do a series for  prompts 57- 61, the four seasons.  Done in Prima watercolors and Micron pen.  Try as I might, and I did try 3 cameras and several different lighting situations, I could not get the true colors on these.  


Day 58 - Summer


Day 59 - Fall


Day 60 - Winter


And all four days together.  I toyed with the idea of putting the names of the months in the white spaces, but then someone pointed out to me that if I left them off this would be universal.  If I add the names of the months with the corresponding season it would only be true of the Northern Hemisphere.  So I decided to leave the white space to make it's own statement.  


Day 61 - Sunset


This was the sunset on Saturday night.  I was feeling rather melancholy that day because I had heard the day before that a friend, a former coworker from school, had suddenly passed away in her home country of Columbia.  Though I only knew her for a few years, she stood out as a person I was glad that I got to know.  She was our part-time Spanish teacher and when she had a free period, and sometimes after she was done with her classes for the day, she would go down to the art room and create.  Sometimes she would do the same projects as the students were doing and sometimes she worked on her own.  She would show me her finished creations and told me that she used them as gifts for her family back in Columbia.  She was very talented.  

Created By M. Infante 2/15

Created by M. Infante 2/15
I didn't use the sunset from that day for my picture inspiration, I found another one from a few weeks ago.  But I did dedicate my finished one to her and wrote what I had been thinking when looking at that sunset on Saturday evening..........

"Martha, did you paint the sunset tonight?  Did God let you use our tears as your watercolors?  Rest in peace sweet friend.  You will be remembered."

Wouldn't it be nice to think that we would each get a chance to paint a sunset?


I took the picture of my card next to the little box that she gave me when she visited the US and our school this past spring.  At the time she told me that she was going to come back and say goodbye before she left.  I was happy about that because I had a little gift for her also, a small traveling set of watercolors and a little zippered "cat" pouch to keep them in.  When she didn't return we learned that she had already left for Columbia so I reached out to her on Facebook.  She didn't want to send me her address, instead she told me to hold onto the gift until she returned neither of us ever thinking she wouldn't.  

So I finished this endeavor with a little bit of bitter-sweetness at the end.  I'll post a picture of all the cards together in the next couple of days.  I hope you've enjoyed looking at them as much as I have enjoyed doing them.  

There is a new challenge at Daisy Yellow starting today as a matter of fact.  It's called "Catchphrase" and it's all about adding words to your art.  Here is the link if you want to check it out. I think I'll be giving it a try but I'll be delaying my start a couple of days as I have another bigger project that has to get done right away.  

2 comments:

  1. Her cats are lovely! An unexpected death is always a shock. But the sweet memories still last when the sorrow is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was sweet - one of the people who seldom, if ever complained to me about anything work related, and was always trying to make people laugh. I think it hit me even harder knowing she was my age.

      Delete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.