Saturday, November 21, 2015

Stone - Our Beautiful World

This week's prompt is STONE.  Is there a difference between rock and stone?  I tried looking it up and it just became more confusing.  Basically stones are smaller pieces of rock.  They can occur naturally like the pebbles you see below or "stones" can be cut from larger rocks.  In either case, I think they are full of both beauty and strength.  

These river stones (really pebbles) surround our above-ground pool and this little redbud seedling has taken hold in them.  The yellow heart-shaped leaves really stood out against the layer of other leaves, stone, and the metal side of the pool.


Finding a black feather stuck in those grey stones begged for a photo.


As did this little, singular red leaf.


I always love finding the sea birds amongst the rocks.  





One of our favorite things to do is to walk along the stone jetty at the Barnegat Inlet.  Here you can see a plethora of boats entering and exiting the inlet.


I have walked along the top of those stones.  Treading carefully.  


And alongside the stones, tide going out.


And, most of the time, on those walks, small stones or beach pebbles will wind up in and amongst the shells we've collected on the beach.  Who can pass up a treasure like that?

Won't you join me to see "stone" from around the world at Our Beautiful World?



7 comments:

  1. Nice photos, especially the lighthouse reflection. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful series! Wish I could be there, I like the sea and its birds and rocks and little stones...
    Have a nice sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Lorraine! I love the one with the feather! And the birds and lighthouse, great shots! Like you I love the sea shore and always bring back home a shell or two. Or most of the times a lot of shells, lol. We have big sandy beaches here, so finding a stone is not common there. Thank you for joining OBW :) Wishing you a beautiful day, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos Lorraine! Thanks so much for sharing with us at OBW!! And thank you for your lovely comments to! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the effect of the yellow leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lot's of gojuss "nature" at her best! Thanks for sharing:-)
    Sunshine NZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to say that the red leaf was my favourite - although the one with the black feather, the stones remind me of the beach that was was nearest us in the town where I grew up. There was no sand there at all! But then I reached the bird photos, and of course they are my favourites. They too remind me of my home-town and so many seaside holidays - except for the egret. I've only started seeing them here in very recent years. I love the one that has the lighthouse reflection in the pool of water - great capture.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.