What is ICAD you ask? It stands for Index Card A Day. From June 1 to July 31. This challenge originates on the Daisy Yellow Art Blog. I've linked to the FAQ page.
I vaguely remember seeing this last summer but I think it was well into July when I did and since it runs from June 1 to July 31 it was too late to start. Then I saw mention of it again on my Jingle Belle friend Lauren's blog and went to investigate. I did a photo-a-day challenge during July a few years ago and it was a lot of fun using the prompts. This challenge also has prompts but they're optional and already I've found I've used some and other days just created something without a prompt.
For instance I did a calendar of sorts which will be a cover for my ring of index cards. I already had a stack of index cards punched and on a ring that I intended to use for a tangle-a-day project that didn't get off the ground, so I might as well put them to use.
June 1 - Prism. I remembered the prism scene from Pollyanna and used her explanation to make a sort of rebus using words and drawings to illustrate the quote. (Markers and Prismacolor pencils.)
June 2 - Circus Tent. School gets to be like a three ring circus about this time of year and I do have a supply of clown noses on hand to lighten the mood when needed. My circus tents were watercolored with Derwent Inktense pencils.
June 3 - Hello My Name Is. Well there it is. I tangled my name using a tangle that begins with each letter of my name. L-Lace. O-Onamato. R-Raddox. A-Ahh. I-Isochor. N-Nightsbridge. E-Ennies.
June 4 - Puzzle. My father would do the daily cryptogram puzzle in the newspaper. This was the puzzle of the day. Pretty good quote too! I added some red and black tangling.
June 5 - Galaxy. Well, this did not turn out at all like I pictured it. The news had recently reported that stars come in colors and I wanted to try to depict that. So I scribbled some colored stars with my Prismacolors and then took a white crayon and scribbled over the colors. I added more white stars with the crayon as a resist for the background which was an attempt to use the Derwent Inktense pencils again. Then added the words from "Dream a Little Dream of Me" with a micron pen.
June 6 - Nail Polish. I used a new embossing folder that had all these drippy shapes and embossed the index card first. I kept the card on the embossing folder while I colored the shapes with the Inktense pencils. I took a damp paper towel and laid it on the colored image and rubbed to try to get the colors to "inktense". Truthfully, I liked what I got on the paper towel better than what I got here.
June 7 - Yellow. I grabbed scraps off whatever was yellow off my worktable for this. There was some hand stitching with this one. I stitched the punched flower piece to the darker yellow back piece and also stitched the crepe paper to ruffle it a bit.
June 8 - Mandala. I was working on this while watching the Tony's that Sunday evening. I used some Marvy Le Pen's.
June 9 - Alphabet. More Marvy work here.
June 10 - The Beatles. I sketched the heads of the Fab Four sans facial features in pencil and then added the words from "In My Life" which was our wedding song.
June 11 - Toy Camera. Here's where the train came off the tracks a bit. I had a catalog for school supplies that was going in the recycle bin at work so I cut out some of the bulletin board border samples and lined them up like film strips (okay, it's a stretch). Then added some more FUN.
June 12 - Paisley. I was fooling around with highlighters on a post-it note at work making those pink flowers and I thought I could turn them into paisley shapes.
June 13 - Book Review. I took a black Sharpie marker to the index card. I save envelopes that have interesting patterns on the inside and that's what I used here.
June 14 - Magenta. Okay, magenta was not to be. Not just because I couldn't find anything magenta but also because it was Flag Day and I wanted to use that theme. Again I used that envelope paper and just red and blue markers in between the lines. The star was watercolored in yellow but got lost against the background so I added a torn piece of packing paper to make it stand out.
Well, that was the first two weeks and it was fun and also therapeutic in a way as I don't have to sit too long to complete them and still get some creating in.
I know this post is very long but I think it will be easier to do one or two weeks at a time rather than try to do the project and post it in the same day.