Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Friendship Wallet

It all started when I came across a blog called PagePeople- Stampin', Scrappin' and Gifts and a post about using up old DSP (Designer Series Paper).  Hmmm, I have a bit of that myself.  So I went to my stash and pulled out some Old Olive Prints Pattern paper.  I printed out her very well done directions and proceeded to make a few wallets. 

That was in June.

Fast forward to August and these wallets have been on my work table for a while now.  What shall I do with them?  I was mounting one of my new stamp sets - Herb Expressions and had a thought about how I could use that.  There are four herb images with their names and what they are representative of.  And there are four sentiments that go along with these representations.  All of them deal with friendship, so I thought I would create this Friendship Wallet.

All the herb images were stamped in Basic Gray on Confetti White and either colored with markers directly or with an aquapainter. 

All the sentiments were stamped in Chocolate Chip on Very Vanilla cardstock.  The images were mounted on one side of the Confetti Cream card, and the sentiments on the other.

All embellishments are done with SU papers, punches, and ribbons.  I believe one of the ribbons I used is retired, but you can substitute something current for that or use one of them twice.  And of course, you can use current DSP instead of using up your retired paper, but what are you saving it for!?!

Here it is in pictures - if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

The sentiment on the belly band is from the For All You Do set.  Each of the cards has a ribbon pull tab so that you can easily pull it out of it's pocket.  I've kept the embellishments pretty flat so that they go in and out of the pockets without getting hung up. 

Just a funny note - I had originally colored the Thyme images making the flowers yellow, but that didn't exactly go with the rest of the colors too well.  So I decided to check and see if there was a variety of Thyme that had pink flowers and there was.  I found
a site from Massachusetts that sells the plant and this is their write up about it: 

"Red Creeping Thyme, 2 to 4 inches high Full Sun, Ornamental herb valued as a groundcover, from a dense mat of dark green leaves that are covered with red flowers early to mid summer, bronze foliage fall fragrant, attacks butterflies and is deer resistant"

I dropped them an e-mail to tell them that while I could use plants that are deer resistant in my garden, I really didn't think I needed any that attacked butterflies...........   I haven't heard back from them yet!

5 comments:

  1. Got to laugh at something attacking butterflies - surely even the sun-dew plants don't actually attack. Come to think of it, they work by attraction too. I've never seen a thyme with yellow flowers before - here it's generally pinky purple just as you've coloured it, or occasionally white. Love the view from your condo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the attacked butterflies. Great idea. I should do something like this. Half of what I have is discontinued. I also love the idea. When I'll make anything is up in the air. Now that school has started, life became really full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell hubby to trot around the yard peeing on everything. (men love to do that anyway) and you'll have NO DEER. Also no husband unless you're willing to bail him out of jail, but still: no deer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny...I just have this distorted cartoonist picture in my head, To much time with the kids.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your Friendship Wallet. And the cards that you have going in the wallet are outstanding. I just love looking at all your creative talents.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.