Friday, September 19, 2008

Owls are Not Turtles

I got a comment on my owl card from Vodka Mom last night:

"I want you to come to room 121 at Park Forest Elementary tomorrow morning. You are doing the craft center. Don't be late (9:15)"

Little does she know that I would have loved to do that. For more reasons than one. I substituted in our elementary schools for 15 years before I took the job in the school office. Almost every sub that I knew had their favorites and most of them stayed away from Kindergarten, Art, and Gym. Now, I wanted to work so I would say yes to anything, but I really enjoyed Kindergarten and Art. Gym was the killer for me, not so much the physical activity, because as a sub, you're not running around. It was the noise that got me with that.

I loved to be called for the elementary art class or the kindergarten. The other subs said I was nuts.

"You get dirty in those classes." (Yes, you might, but I'd rather be dirty than catch some middle-schooler drawing dirty pictures.)

"You're on your feet all day." (Yes, you are, but if you're not moving around in a middle school classroom, someone is going to be drawing dirty pictures.)

"I can't deal with all the whining." (Whose? Theirs or yours?)

No, I was the go-to person when the art teacher was out three days in a row at a workshop every fall, or when the kindergarten teacher(s) were doing testing, or had extended absences. And I was appreciated. And they told me so. And not just on one day in April ....... um, I digress here, sorry.

So when I saw that comment last night it brought back some good memories. What would I do for the craft center in Vodka Mom's, er, Mrs. Patrick's Kindergarten class? I think, since it is fall and near Halloween, and because I had owls on the mind, that I would do paper bag owls and/or bats. They are fun and easy and we could talk about them being nocturnal and what that meant. If, Mrs. Patrick so desired.

Which also reminded me of the time I was subbing in Kindergarten and doing a lesson on nocturnal animals. I read the class a book while they were sitting on the carpet. Then we talked about what nocturnal meant and listed the animals that were nocturnal on the board. Then, I believe there were worksheets to color (I would have added the bag animals here, but I was following the teacher's plans).

Later that morning, when we were all packed up and waiting for the buses I asked the class what we had learned today. And the answer I got from George, who always wore his rubber boots to school in kindergarten - "We learned that owls are not turtles."

Could you have kept a straight face?

4 comments:

  1. Where the hell were you this morning??

    HAHAH/ You are HIRED!!!!!!! I loved this post. Loved it.....you can come over ANY TIME. owls are not turtles. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, does that bring back memories. I taught kindergarten for 4 years and just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the bag Lorraine...Love the little one also. Great story

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest story EVER!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.